Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Psalm 25

Psalm 25 (NRSV)

Something's wrong.

My enemies are afoot. They exult, they gloat over me. They are wantonly treacherous. They betray me. I am lonely and afflicted in their midst. My heart is troubled. I am distressed in my afflictions and my troubles. My foes are many and they hate me with a violent hatred. They do not wait in fear for God to act on my behalf; instead they wait for me to be shamed by God's inaction on my behalf. They mock me. They mock God.

This I understand. I understand it now more than I ever have before. I hear it today with my whole being, like that pulsing sub-subwoofer in that annoyingly stup-stupid car at the never-changing stop-stoplight.

So what, according to this Psalm, should I do? I should repent of my sins. MY sins. I should turn to God's ways. Me. Not my enemies. Me. I should lift up my heart, my soul, my true self, to YHWH, and seek his mercy and forgiveness for my sins, for the transgressions of my youth. I should seek pardon for my guilt, for it is great. I should worry about my integrity and my uprightness. I should ask the Lord to show me his ways, to teach me his paths—because evidently I have lost my way. I should choose to fear the Lord. I should humble myself. And then I should wait for God.

All this must I do lest I become an enemy to my enemies.

This I do not want to understand.

Which makes me wonder: Are my enemies without or within?

Wait. Do not answer too quickly, even though you know the answer. Let me think, even though I know the answer, too.

Wait. Lent is a time of introspection.

Introspect.

Now, then. The answer is—

yes.

Something is wrong. I am.

So far, I have to say, I'm not enjoying Lent all that much. (I hope my enemies aren't either.)




3 comments:

  1. The next to last line, I just realized, is a total ripoff of a G.K. Chesterton quip. I'll just thank him here and let it stand. As I reread, I'm also reminded of the famous Pogo line about enemies. So, thanks to Walt Kelly, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the memory stacks:

    Chesterton was asked by a reporter (as I recall), "What is wrong with the world?" Chesterton replied, "I am."

    The Pogo line: "We have met the enemy and he is us."

    ReplyDelete