Friday, February 15, 2013

A Call To Trust

Jesus is smart. I know, I know - tons of insight in that sentence. But Jesus really does understand humanity well. In our passage today, the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus spends some words speaking about money (that we cannot serve both Money and God) and then immediately follows this section with an encouragement to not worry. It's as if he knew what we might really worry about in life. And he was right...at least for me.

As I was reading Jesus' beautiful words about not worrying because God even takes care of the birds of the air and the lillies of the field, I found myself reflecting on my own daily worries. My wife and I are in the beginning stages of buying our first home and I have already begun to fret about how we will manage this feat financially.
How much can we afford to spend? How much of a down payment do we need? Can we really afford to buy a house? How much will our mortgage be? How will we afford to pay our mortgage while also paying my student loans?
You get the idea. I'm beginning to freak out.

But Jesus' words are really helpful today. They are calming and reassuring. I can so easily get caught up in a world of fret, uncertainty, and doubt, when Jesus is calling us to a life of trust. He is calling us to live in today and to let tomorrow worry about itself. He is not calling us to naivete and a lack of preparation, but instead, to a calm assurance that all will be fine. Regardless of what happens, God will be there beside us, shepherding us through good times and bad. I needed this calm assurance today. I needed the peace of Christ. Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment